Re: AUCTeX tool bar on emacs built with gtk3

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: AUCTeX tool bar on emacs built with gtk3
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 21:25:24 +0200

Ikumi Keita <ikumi@ikumi.que.jp> writes:

Hi Keita,

> All icons are accompanied by text labels, so they occupy too wide
> widths.  In particular, (La)TeX related icons are pushed away
> rightward of visible area of the emacs frame, so they aren't
> accessible.
>
> First of all, is this situation common for others, or peculiar to me
> due to my personal configuration? I continue assuming the former.

Indeed, same for me.

> If I widen the emacs frame horizontally, the (La)TeX icons appear but
> the vertical separator bar looks ugly because there's a text label
> "Separator" next to it.

Hehe, I'd say that's pretty consequent to augment a separator with the
text "separator". :-)

> In addition, when I hover the mouse pointer over that bar and text, a
> hollow rectangle is displayed as tooltip help. This isn't smart.
>
> I'd propose to apply the attached patch to address these issues. This
> attempts to disable the text labels for tool bar icons and use gtk
> native separator bar in AUCTeX tool bar. With this patch, the tool bar
> looks like this:
>
> [4. modified look --- image/png; patched.png]...

Much better.

> What do you think about this idea?

I think it is not our business to set `tool-bar-style' explicitly but
rather the user should do that based on his or her preferences.

Here, the value is nil which, according to its docstring, should mean
"use the system default or image if no system default".  So I guess
there's also some GTK setting which a user could configure, and then
Emacs/AUCTeX should follow suite.

Bye,
Tassilo