Re: Document updates

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: Document updates
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 10:05:06 +0200

Hi Keita,

Ikumi Keita <ikumi@ikumi.que.jp> writes:

> I committed update on documents.

Many thanks for this update.  One thing I also have on my list to
replace all occurrences of nil/t with @code{nil/t} in AUCTeX manual
(will do that sometimes :-)

> Although their size is rather large, most of them are just fixes of
> markups so their contents don't change so much.
>
> I'd like to enumerate a few notable exceptions here:
>
> 1. The issue briefly discussed before[1] exists in texinfo document as
> well, so there is currently wrong descrption about the simultaneity
> between master- and region-process.
> [1] https://lists.gnu.org/r/auctex-devel/2020-11/threads.html

I have to read that thread more carefully.

> 2. The document states that AUCTeX treats file which matches
> `TeX-header-end' as master file, but it seems no such feature is
> implmented in the current source.

I suggest we don't oversell here.  If we don't have this feature (and I
agree that we don't have it), we should remove that part from the
manual.

> 3. The document states that Texinfo mode can run texindex through
> "Index" entry in `TeX-command-list', but "Index" actually runs
> makeindex, not texindex. No entry in `TeX-command-list' runs texindex.
> Should we add a new entry in `TeX-command-list' to run texindex?
> (It seems to me more useful for users to enable running texi2pdf than
> just texindex, so I suppose that it should be such entry rather than
> texindex entry that is to be added.)

My preferred option would be to have 2 entries for texindex and
texi2pdf.  For me, I never managed to get texi2pdf working on my Windows
box, so my current workflow is run pdftex on a file.texi, run texindex
on file.?? and run pdftex again.  But maybe that makes also sense for
users who have a working setup.

WDYT?

Best, Arash