Re: MacOS 10.15 how to add Skim as a viewe

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: MacOS 10.15 how to add Skim as a viewe
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 11:37:38 +0200

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>
>>> I tried the follwowing setting, since I cannot use customize  (skim is
>>> not among the offered viewers)
>>>
>>> (setq TeX-view-program-list
>>> '(("PDF Viewer" "/Applications/Skim.app/Contents/SharedSupport/displayline
>>> -b -g %n %o %b")))
>>>
>>> But it seems not to work anybody has an idea?
>
>> AUCTeX has support for Skim on macOS[1].  In theory, it should work out
>> of the box with something like this in your init file:
>
>>     (setq TeX-view-program-selection '((output-pdf "Skim")))
>
>> I'm not on macOS, so I can't test it and I can't tell if the entry
>
>>     ("Skim" "open -a Skim.app %o" "open")
>
> I see but when I use customise-option, skip did not pop up

You should see Skim when you try to customize
`TeX-view-program-selection', when you hit Value Menu:

    INS DEL Choice: Value Menu Single predicate: Value Menu output-pdf
               :
               Viewer: Value Menu
                       ^^^^^^^^^^

> Also it seems that the recommend approach I found, allows backward and
> forward search in pdf files, while it not clear to me that the one you
> point point out does this.

I did a quick search and here[1], the recommended entry looks different
from what AUCTeX does.  `TeX-output-view-style' is depracted, but we can
tweak the "/Applications/Skim.app/..." string if it works.

Best, Arash

Footnotes:
[1]
https://sourceforge.net/p/skim-app/wiki/TeX_and_PDF_Synchronization/#setting-up-emacs