Re: TeX-master and TeX-output-master

From: Colin Baxter
Subject: Re: TeX-master and TeX-output-master
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 06:03:15 +0100

Dear Tohiko,

    > Hello again, I was told that I should provide a rough sketch on
    > what I am planning to do.

    > First let me discuss my current implementation for the custom
    > output directory (attached). The implementation was simplified a
    > bit since my previous email. The basic idea is to advise
    > `TeX-active-master` to return the build directory (from a custom
    > variable `TeX-output-dir`) whenever the extension is an output one
    > (defined as matching one of the outputs in
    > `*TeX-clean-*-suffixes`). If `TeX-output-dir` is nil, then
    > `TeX-active-master` is called as usual. I also define a function
    > `TeX-master-output-file` that returns the value of
    > `TeX-output-dir` of the master-file (the variable's value of
    > non-master files should be irrelevant). In the attached script, I
    > also added an example hook to set the build directory and set
    > `TeX-command-extra-options` appropriately.

    > This works most of the time, except in cases where AUCTeX uses
    > `TeX-active-master` to get the master directory. For example,
    > `TeX-active-master` is called in `TeX-clean` without an extension
    > and then `file-name-directory` is called to extract the
    > directory. In these cases, the output directory should be used
    > instead.

    > In order to implement this natively, I am planning to add the same
    > variable `TeX-output-dir` in AUCTeX. Then, I have two options:
    > 1. Add a check at the beginning of `TeX-active-master` similar to
    > the one in my advice. If the extension is an output extension,
    > return the output directory instead of the master directory. I
    > would also change calls to TeX-active-master where a directory is
    > needed so that an extension is always passed (an output extension
    > if the output directory is needed like in `TeX-clean`, or a tex
    > extension if not) 2. The second way to implement this is to simply
    > replace the calls to `TeX-active-master` in AUCTeX with calls to
    > `TeX-master-output-file` whenever the extension is an output
    > one. Also, replace calls to `TeX-active-master` in places where
    > the output directory is needed (like in TeX-clean).

    > There are a few issues that I am trying to figure out at the
    > moment: 1. The latex compiler assumes that the output directory
    > exists. I am not sure where the best place to create it is.  2. I
    > think creating an expansion variable (in `TeX-expand-list`) for
    > the output directory might be better than using
    > `TeX-command-extra-options`. This is for several reasons, most
    > importantly it seems that when I call `TeX-command` on a
    > non-master file, the local variable `TeX-command-extra-options`
    > (from the non-master file) is expanded rather than the one from
    > the master file as I would expect (As an aside, I propose that the
    > value of the master file be expanded instead).

    > Sorry for the long email, I appreciate any feedback. Especially on
    > which implementation is preferred.

    > -- Tohiko

    > ;;; tex-output.el --- description -*- lexical-binding: t; -*-

> [...]

I must say, this is very nice. I particularly like the comments in the
code --- refreshingly comprehensive and helpful in understanding
things. Option 1. above would seem the least drastic to me, and I'd
prefer it. I never use TeX-clean in order to avoid multiple+ runs each
time I compile.

All in all, I now think this will be a useful addition to auctex. Excellent.

Best wishes,

Colin.

--
Colin Baxter
GnuPG fingerprint: 68A8 799C 0230 16E7 BF68  2A27 BBFA 2492 91F5 41C8