Re: [AUCTeX-devel] how to install auctex locally?

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] how to install auctex locally?
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 22:17:17 +0200

* Ralf Hemmecke (2010-05-24) writes:

> On 05/24/2010 08:41 PM, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>> * Ralf Hemmecke (2010-05-22) writes:
>>
>> From the top of my mind, `/home/hemmecke/software' is likely not in
>> `load-path' of your Emacs, so the configure script tries to find a place
>> which is and uses that.
>
> What? I understand that the configure script must find emacs and tests
> for the content of load-path. But if I understand correctly then if I
> configure with --prefix=/some/dir then the installation process should
> *NEVER* install anything outside of that directory. If that is the case,
> I consider the installation procedure as broken. Don't you agree?

IMO, with Emacs Lisp files it is debatable if it is better to offer a
location outside $prefix where Emacs can actually find the files or
abort the configuration.  Both options have their pros and cons.  And
since `configure' does not install anything, the user has the
possibility to change the paths before the actual installation if they
are not satisfactory.  We could perhaps issue a warning if `configure'
picks a location outside of $prefix.

>>> What can I do if I have no root access on that machine?
>>
>> Try with `--with-lispdir'.
>
> That seems to be only half of the story. "make install" aborts with
>
> /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 prfootnotes.def
> /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/preview
> /usr/bin/install: cannot remove
> `/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/preview/prfootnotes.def': Permission denied
> make[2]: *** [install-texmf] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/hemmecke/v/ro/cvs-auctex/auctex/preview/latex'
> make[1]: *** [install-texmf] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/hemmecke/v/ro/cvs-auctex/auctex/preview'
> make: *** [install] Error 2
>
> Any hints?

How about reading the installation instructions?

--
Ralf