[AUCTeX-devel] RE: Question about AUCTex binding of C-c `

From: Drew Adams
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] RE: Question about AUCTex binding of C-c `
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 16:29:06 -0800

> > I downloaded AUCTeX (version 11.14) from the Web,
>
> Why would you download such a stone-age version?

It was one that I found, googling, that didn't have a bz2 suffix, which I
don't yet have a Windows program to uncompress. I probably could have found
a more recent non-bz2 if I had looked longer or better. My aim was just to
determine whether the binding `C-c `' was a minor-mode binding or a
major-mode binding.

> Correct.  Apart from that, it is very inconvenient to type, anyway.
> We have not yet been able to agree on a good alternative.  Maybe we
> should just leave this to next-error and be done.

That would be better.

> You'll find IIRC that RefTeX, a minor mode, is not exactly faultless
> either.  However, since it is a non-global minor mode and only
> intended to be used together with LaTeX modes, there is not much point
> in adhering strictly to the minor/major separation lines: the total
> package needs to make sense from its keybindings.

Sure. And a package should also adhere to the guidelines, so it plays well
with other packages. IOW, there are binding concerns internal to a package
(or within a package family) and binding concerns external to a package:
in-house rules and friendly-neighbor rules.

> Good bindings are usually not found by complaints alone, proposals
> could help.

One would need to be familiar with the ensemble of AUCTeX bindings, and
their uses, to make appropriate binding suggestions. My request is just to
adhere to the guideline, so minor modes can use C-c + punctuation such as `
and '.

Thx - Drew