aspell-user

Re: [Aspell-user] Multi-language spell-checking

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Multi-language spell-checking
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 17:12:31 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010, John Tyree wrote:

As many others are apparently trying to do, I wish to use aspell to check
more than one language at a time. I did see in the manual that this is
possible via the *.multi files, but I was quite unable to get it to
function. Is there a way to accomplish this without having to modify the
system-wide .../lib/aspell directory? Preferably just with a ~/.aspell.conf
file? Here is the best I could come up with, but it appears that
'local-data-dir' is silently ignored. Thanks in advance.

You can not combine dictionaries from different languages in Aspell. You have to create a new language. However, since different languages have different suggestions strategies and affix rules this is a non-trivial task.