aspell-user

Re: [Aspell-user] aspell slow down within Emacs

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] aspell slow down within Emacs
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 06:43:46 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, Fabrizio Sidoli wrote:

I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem I am having with aspell.

I am using an Emacs lisp function called flyspell.el that uses aspell. Flyspell is a fully-automatic way to check spelling as you edit in Emacs.

The problem I'm having is that aspell causes Emacs to slow down when moving the cursor over words (presumably because it is checking them), especially if I happen to be scrolling along a line. It can hang for up to 2 or 3 seconds before I can do anything else in the Emacs window.

Most likely the slowdown is while Aspell is coming up with suggestions.

What version of Aspell are you using? If you are still using Aspell 0.50 you should upgrade to 0.60 as there is a large speedup in the suggestion speed (see http://aspell.net/test/cur/). You can also try setting the suggestion mode to "ultra".