aspell-user

Re: [Aspell-user] Re: Aspell and curly quotes

From: Leonardo F. Fontenelle
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Re: Aspell and curly quotes
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 22:33:05 -0300

Em Ter, 2008-07-22 às 19:47 +1200, Jeremy Hughes escreveu:
> Did anyone find a solution to this problem?
>
> > I use aspell from within Emacs. I have some documents that are stored in
> > utf-8 and use the unicode code points for curly quotes (8220, 8221,
> > 8216, and 8217) rather than ASCII straight quotes. Is there any way to
> > get aspell to recognize a curly apostrophe as a word constituent so
> > contractions (e.g. isn't, except where the ' is Unicode character 8217)
> > are recognized as single words, correctly spelled words. At the moment
> > it sees "isn" and complains about it.

At first, I thought about adding it the special characters which can be
considered part of the word, but I just tried it, and it doesn't work.
Maybe because Aspell is 8 bit only, and AFAIK the curly apostrophe is
outside iso-8859-1.

I guess the only proper way of doing this is making Aspell understand
both kinds of apostrophes as "synonyms", which AFAIK would require you
to file a feature request.

--
Leonardo Fontenelle
http://leonardof.org