arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] CVS&Subversion repository tracking

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] CVS&Subversion repository tracking
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:56:24 -0400 (EDT)

Peter Busser <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is there a way for ArX to automatically track a CVS or Subversion
> repository?  It would be useful when someone wants to do private
> development whereas the project itself uses CVS or Subversion.

Right now, it is a bit manual and untested.  You can use both SCM's in
the same directory.  So if you have a CVS project checked out into
directory "foo", you can also check that project into ArX.  To
initially set it up, you do something like

  1) Check out CVS/Subversion/(Other SCM)  project into directory "foo"
  2) cd foo
  3) arx init foo
  4) arx commit -s "initial import from cvs"

Then it depends on whether you have made changes, or you are pulling
changes from cvs.  If you have made changes, then you just commit to
both SCM's

  5) arx commit -s "added features and bugs"
  6) cvs commit -m "added features and bugs"

If you add, move, or delete files then you will have to do it in both
SCM's.

If you just want to pull changes, then it is something like

  5) cvs update
  6) check_moved.py -f
  7) arx commit -s "cvs update"

This automatically detects all of the changes that CVS made and
bundles all of them into a single ArX changeset.  The check_moved.py
script is in the tools/ directory, and you have to build the python
bindings for it to work.

This scheme should work for almost any SCM.  However, it is not ideal.
It is a bit manual, and you would ideally want a one-to-one
correspondence between changesets in CVS/Subversion/Whatever.  Better
integration between other SCM's is on the TODO list.

On the other hand, if you want to do a one-time bulk conversion of a
CVS repository to ArX, I have a script that sort of works.  I can send
that if you want it.

Cheers,
Walter