apps-gnustep

Re: ANN: GSburn.app 0.2.0pre

From: Andreas Heppel
Subject: Re: ANN: GSburn.app 0.2.0pre
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 09:51:24 +0200

Hi Yen-Ju,

On 2002-10-07 14:38:17 -0400 Yen-Ju Chen <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi,

After quickly look at the source,
I have only two comments about the ripping bundle:

1. In the AudioRipperModule,
     it would be nice that AudioRipper can actively notify its owner,
     delegate or parent that ripping is finished
     so the application can rip the next track.
     Either through delegate method or NSNotification is fine.
We can surely do this. As stated in my mailing, the interface is still in
development and will certainly be for a while.

2. In ParametersModule,
     how about a initializeFromDefaults: as in PreferenceModule ?
     And it seems that initWithParent: can be put into
     both ParametersModule and PreferenceModule, too.
What would you want to do in initializeFromDefaults? Read out some pre-defined
parameters (maybe from PreferencesModule?) and present them? I thought about
that, too, but then decided against it. I want to avoid overloading the user
with too much stuff on the screen.
Anyhow, initializeFromDefaults doesn't need to be in the protocol even for
PreferencesModule since it is called only internally (I blindly copied the
mechanism from GNUMail, maybe I should take it out of the protocols
definition). Thus, you can do this if you like.
If you build your own cdda2wav bundle and give it a parameters view, note that
GSburn already provides a NSBox and expects only an NSView to put inside. The
NSView is somewhate limited in size, thus, you should place only few controls
there and then maybe have an 'Expert' button.

And AudioRipper seems only to be responsible for CD->wav,
not wav->ogg (or other format).
In MusicBox, I use NSPipe to connect cdda2wav and oggenc
so that it can rip CD->ogg directly without any temperatory file.
Maybe you can consider to put the wav->ogg part into AudioRipper
so that AudioRipper can handle CD->ogg directly.
Then grabTrack:fromDevice:toFile is not restrictly limited to
be wav format.
This maybe not be useful for GSburn,
but probably useful for Encod and MusicBox.
Sorry, this is a misunderstanding. When I wrote the docs in the file I has
GSburn in mind, which truely expects .wav files. But since AudioRipperModule is
only a protocol in the first place and you just pass in a name for outFile you
can do what you want in the actual implementation. Thus, if you do want to
rip-encode in one step you can do this, but GSburn cannot create audio CDs from
ogg (as you already stated). If you are going to write a bundle, it should
parse the outFile name and then decide whether to rip only or to rip-encode.
Then you can use it for all three apps.

I appreciate your feedback.

Cheers,
Andreas