apps-gnustep

GNUMail.app / Pantomime status

From: Ludovic Marcotte
Subject: GNUMail.app / Pantomime status
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 12:57:19 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Things have progressed very well in the past days for GNUMail.app /
Pantomime.

Here's what changed:

- Some internal parts of Pantomime were changed to allow speed
  improvements and also to support 8bit emails. Alexander Malmberg has
  done a great job on this ;

- GNUMail.app is now fully multithreaded (minus IMAP). So, that means that
  it no longer blocks when you're downloading emails, sending emails or
  bouncing them. There's a little spinning GNUstep logo when the thread is
  running. You can see a sshot here:

  http://www.collaboration-world.com/gnumail/GNUMail-1.0.0.png

  It needs a little more work (mainly for IMAP) but it already works very
  well. Thanks to Jeff Teunissen who made this little spinning GNUstep
  logo.

- Rewritten the code to transfer emails from the local mail spool file.
  It's now faster and use WAY less memory ;

- Some bugs were fixed, and new ones were introduced ;)

The next big release is gonna be 1.0.0 for GNUMail.app (and 1.0.2 for
Pantomime).

The TODO files of both projects are pretty much up-to-date on what it's
left to do before the next releases.

I would also like to seek help for a GPG/PGP bundle since I have no time
right now to work on this but the demand is huge for seach feature. I've
also started but not yet finished a X-Face/X-Image-URL bundle, so, if
someone feel like finishing it, email me.

Everything has been commited to the CVS server of GNUMail.app and
Pantomime.

As usual, comments, bug reports, feature requests and more are all
welcome!

Thanks a lot,
                Ludovic
--