advent-devel

Re: [Advent-devel] uses of advent

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: [Advent-devel] uses of advent
Date: 21 Oct 2002 13:00:37 +0200

"Frank W. Samuelson" <address@hidden> writes:

> I've been thinking of using advent to make some maze games for my
> son, where he must make a character walk through a maze. From the
> cosmos example, making a 2-D maze seems relatively simple.
>
> But I was wondering if there is a way to do something like this:
> http://www.merrill-samuelson.com/ex.png where the shaded region is a
> bridge, for example. The character can both walk on the bridge and
> under the bridge, but not off the sides.

Currently something like that is not possible, since the walk-map is
just a simple flat 2D map, with no extra-tags or special colors to
mark such a region. But there are two solutions which could be
implemented:

1) create a 3D-navigation-mesh out of polygons and triangles, so that
   the connection from one triangle to another one would show which
   paths are walkable and which aren't, instead of simply having a 2d
   projection. This would require a special editor for the polygon
   data and a bit pathfinding code inside the engine. I am going to
   implement this at some point, but probally not in the near future.
   Anyway, this is what would solve this and a lot of other problems.

2) A quick&dirty workaround would be to have trigger-regions
   (currently not implement, but that should be pretty easy). So you
   would have a colmap without the brigde in it and another colmap
   with only the bridge in it. You would place trigger-regions at the
   start and at the end of the bridge and once the player walks into
   such a region a trigger could get issued, which would switches from
   the non-bridge colmap to the bridge-colmap. Once the player is
   going to leave the bridge it would switch the colmap back.

Games:    http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/gamedesigns/
JabberID: address@hidden
ICQ:      59461927