adonthell-general

Re: [Adonthell-general] Races and their Items

From: Andrew Michael Phillips
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Races and their Items
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:59:16 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Kai Sterker wrote:

> Well, it is a matter of balancing. I imagine that a temporary effect
> cost much less than a permanent achievement, so while Elves and Dwarves
> would have to use their powers with care, Half-Elves might be able use
> theirs without much thinking.

I think you're half-right, in this case. They have to give less thought to
how much power they are spending, but they would also have to spend it
more often, and with keener foresight, particularly if they know a big
fight is coming. If the player is taken by surprise in a fight, however,
he might end up spending turns (or time) re-inforcing his armor and
weapons.

> It also would fit their philosophy. Being close to nature, they would
> certainly prefer permanent change over a once-forever enhancement.

I think you mean temporary, but yes. Half-Elves, I think, live in the
moment, while Humans live looking forward to tomorrow and Elves and
Dwarrow live looking backward into the past

> > If they can all do the same things in different ways, they are far
> > more alike than different.
>
> That's true. The different races should play out different, so I think
> it is in order when their powers differ. Used properly, Half-Elves
> could even gain an advantage as they can use the temporary enhancement
> that fits best in the given situation, while Elves for instance are
> stuck with the improvement they made to their armour or weapon.

If we're going to create this advantage, then I think we must make sure
that our combat system allows them to make use of it and also make sure
that the game does not require constant re-incantation of items, which
could get quite tedious.

--
Andrew Phillips
God Bless Our Troops