Re: [Adonthell-devel] Website rewritten, development stopped

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Website rewritten, development stopped
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 00:16:56 +0900

Oh, my. It's almost 10 years since my last commit to this project. And my last email as well probably. >_<

Time has passed and things have changed so dramatically.

Linuxgames.com does not reply anymore. The Linux Game Tome is dead. Freshmeat.net has disappeared (seriously, when did that happen?)

It's all but gone. Still, those years developing this project with you all remain my best memories of the times when we were using CRTs. :) Just remembered that we even ported Adonthell on the Sharp Zaurus! That was some cool stuff. And the IRC meetings! How lucky we were to be there during these times.

Nowadays, I guess an amateur project needs to be some shit-ass closed-source free-to-play scam running on iOS to gather a bit of interest. As Kai mentioned there are now plenty of quality RPGs on Linux, but as far as I can tell none on this list is open-source or developed by the community. What we did with Adonthell, we did it out of pure passion, and although the result does not rival with what kickstarter-backed projects can do today, we managed to gather enough good will from various skilled people to release an actual (small) game that was appreciated by the community. Not too bad for a group of beginners at a time when dial-up was still mainstream! (and how did we even survive without git?)

Anyway, to my dismay I could not even compile the latest 0.4 code on my Arch system - it was not too happy that Python 3 was the default (that was easily fixed using ccmake), and then some of the STL code was apparently too obsolete for GCC 5.3. But I was delighted to see that the 0.3  Waste's Edge package for Arch compiled and installed gracefully, minor some warnings. I could even play a bit, even though the keyboard input was kind of broken with each keypress being sent twice (!). But wow, the dialog engine! The NPCs behaviors scripted in Python! That was cool stuff for that time. I may spend one evening sometime to fix that and maybe even adopt the Arch package out of nostalgia.

Urrk. I feel like I got old. Maybe in another 10 years there will be a new golden age of free software, and someone will dig out Adonthell? Hopefully we will still be sane and relevant enough to provide some guidance to these kids and transmit them the spirit, before it is gone for good.

"Listen to the water
that surrounds our shore -
To the wind
that blows into our face -