Re: [Adonthell-devel] SDL 1.3 adds support for render targets

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] SDL 1.3 adds support for render targets
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 21:18:07 +0100

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> SDL_Mixer will also have to be migrated to SDL2_Mixer, once that
> becomes available. Have not looked into that yet.

As of today, there's SDL2_Mixer to be used with SDL2. I will update
the build system for that in the next few days.

As for the render target stuff, I've completed an experimental
conversion of the sdl_surface class to use render targets and must say
that I am a bit disappointed with the result. From my tests,
performance is not better and sometimes worse than the current
implementation and I don't see differences in memory footprint. I
don't think I'll invest more time in that, but for the curious I have
pushed my code into a new branch:

  https://github.com/ksterker/adonthell/tree/SDL2_RenderTargets

Note that there is something wrong with surface creation. Looks like
it just takes the first row of pixels and repeats that over the rest
of the surface. Also handling of masks is not correct. I didn't bother
to figure those out, but they should have no impact on performance,
just make the visuals look quite ... stylish ;-).

Guess I'll have to spend some time on getting the website up and running again.