Re: [Adonthell-devel] Connector naming scheme

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Connector naming scheme
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 21:50:14 +0100

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 10:22 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> Since there are seemingly endless combinations between outer and inner
> walls (and inner front and back walls too), I think it might be best
> to focus on building a single line of wall first. This could be
> achieved with 3 connectors:
>
> 1. wall-white-out-Oxx
> 2. wall-plaster-ins-Ixx
> 3. wall-plaster-ins-Oxx

Nope, it either doesn't work, or it doesn't work for me on late evenings ;-).

So what I ended up doing is defining 4 connectors per wall set. I.e:

* wall-plaster-ins-xFx
* wall-plaster-ins-xBx
* wall-plaster-ins-xxL
* wall-plaster-ins-xxR

That works and makes everything dead simple. Given a wall piece named
...-ins-OFL it needs the connectors ...-ins-xFx and -ins-xxL. A tile
named -SLx needs two connectors -xLx. And so on.

Already did all the work and committed the result. In testing mapedit,
I did find combinations where the grid alignment was off (think it
needs different code paths for connecting left to right and right to
left, etc.). So I'll fix that next.

Afterwards, I might go ahead and see if I can capture all that on
video. Thinking about making a set of tutorial/advertising films over
the next few weeks. Showing off the editors and engine a bit, and how
it all fits together. That would give us some news items for the
website and it might help attracting more ... uh ... help :-).

But first things first. Once I get to do the other stuff, you'll read
about it here.

Kai, *off bug hunting*