Re: [Adonthell-devel] Modeller and Connectors

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Modeller and Connectors
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 18:09:54 +0100

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> Filtering for the entity list in general is implemented. Next bit will
> be to actually implement filtering based on the connector data. Then
> implement selecting the next entity in the list by pressing TAB. And
> finally implement better auto-adjusting of the grid based on the
> connector data.

Done the first (or middle) bit: TAB now cycles through the entity list
(and CTRL+TAB cycles backwards). This is (or will be) independent from
the applied filter, so it'll work with all entities visible as well as
with tag and/or connector based filtering.

The idea is that grid adjustment will also be independent from the
actual filtering, but will only work if two tiles actually share at
least one matching connector. That means it will work best if the list
is filtered by matching tiles, but may work to some degree otherwise.
The grid adjustment also needs not be as strict as the filtering. If
connectors just match in size, but not in name, the grid can still be
adjusted accordingly.

One bit that makes tabbing through the entities a bit cumbersome is
the distinction between objects already present on the map and those
that need to be added first. For latter, you'll always get a popup
that you may have to cancel. Have to see how this works out, but I
assume it's only annoying when you start on a fresh map (or fresh
location) and will no longer matter once most objects have been put to
use. In the worst case, we could have a filter for those too.

> Once I am done, more time should become available for Adonthell.
> Motivation also plays a part, but after some time off that is growing
> every day.

I'll be on vacation next week, mostly away from the internet :-).
Afterwards we'll have to see. There's still the Wiki to tend to, but I
hope to wrap up these mapedit items before the year is over.