Re: [Adonthell-devel] Jumping and sliding glitches

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Jumping and sliding glitches
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 23:53:52 +0200

2011/8/16 Michał Kaliński <address@hidden>:

> I also set the threshold value for friction (replacing
> veryCloseDistance in moving::execute_move when deciding whether to
> recourse) as you said and now the character stopped sliding down the
> stairs. At least those on the wastesedge map, can't say it will always
> work. If the stairs were steeper, then probably not. Per surface
> friction might be better, but setting the value too high makes the
> stairs impossible to climb by walking. I'll think about it.

Yeah, characters need a certain velocity to be able to make it to
higher ground. With friction added, this becomes somewhat harder. Not
sure if there's much to be done about that, other than making sure
that the constants we use for stuff like that all fit together.

> There's just one more problem I could find on that map. Sometimes when
> you jump up on a surface where you could slide down (well, not
> anymore), like the stairs or the in front of the inn you land on some
> invisible, horizontal surface that seems to be on the same level as
> the sliding surfaces top point. I can't quite figure out what it is,
> because setting DEBUG_COLLISION does nothing for me and terrain names
> are not set.

DEBUG_COLLISION did not really work since the mapview was mplemented,
as the final position of the character on the screen was no longer
defined by screen size only.

As for the effect, not really sure what might be causing it. At the
stairs I could imagine that the character still rests on a higher
step. But for the veranda roof, I've got no idea.

Also wondering about this change:

-        VSpeed = frames_stuck > 2 ? 0 : VSpeed - 0.4;
+        VSpeed = VSpeed <= 0.4 || frames_stuck > 2 ? 0 : VSpeed - 0.4;

Was there a specific reason for keeping VSpeed >= 0? The idea was to
increase falling speed on longer falls (although I guess in the real
world, at some friction would mitigate the effect somewhat).