Re: [Adonthell-devel] Text rendering updates

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Text rendering updates
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 00:43:04 +0200

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 12:30 AM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> The big change is the replacement of textcache which held the complete
> text of a label or button with fontcache, which holds individual
> glyphs and caches them for future use. There's been some code cleanup
> and small enhancements too (like proper centering of multiline text).
>
> There are a few minor issues and things left undone which I hope to fix soon.

I think I got most of these and even added another improvement: kerning.

There's one thing missing, and that would be cleaning unused entries
from the fontcache, to keep it to a reasonable size. The idea would be
to set a limit to the glyphs we keep in cache and remove the least
frequently used once that limit is being reached. Won't do that right
now, as I want to get back to the editors instead.

> In my tests I've also came across another bug, that I believe has
> existed before. This time I could catch it in gdb, however. Just not
> sure what's causing it, yet. If somebody wants to have a closer look

Had a brief look at this, but didn't see anything suspicious. Since
the conversation widget is obsolete anyway and will sooner or later be
replaced by an implementation on Python side, maybe it's best ignored,
But I assume that it might be related to destroying a widget from
within a callback originating from it. Something that should best be
avoided when the thing is rewritten :-).