Re: [Adonthell-devel] compilation & test problems

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] compilation & test problems
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 21:05:46 +0200

2011/7/26 Michał Kaliński <address@hidden>:

> I had no problem setting $PYTHONPATH - it just needs to be set to
> whatever value PYTHON_SITE_PACKAGE_DIR has. So I would definitely
> advise allowing to override PYTHON_SITE_PACKAGE_DIR for those who'd
> like to do that. I modified config/PythonExtraLibs.cmake:56 so that
> it's possible to set -DPYTHON_SITE_PACKAGE_DIR when running cmake.

Change applied. Now it only needs to be documented somewhere on the wiki.
So with that change, do you have everything installed in your home
directory and running? If so, could be helpful to document the build
parameters and environment variable settings used. Maybe somewhere
here: http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Development:Compiling
(although it starts getting a bit cluttered).

> Yes, for some reason I chose to disregard that space. Worldtest works
> now (even though the NPC seems to enjoy falling off the edge of the
> world).
>
> With that said, I'd like to help with development of adonthell. I'd
> like to ask, which of the open tasks would you recommend to begin
> with? I may be a little slow at the beginning, so I'd like to know
> which ones are not actively worked upon by other people at the moment.

You're more than welcome! Right now I'm focussing on the tools, and
the remaining programmers have been awfully quiet for a while. So feel
free to pick something you like. If you're looking for something
simple to start with, maybe the following might be something:

  When hitting the ceiling while jumping, the z velocity is not set
  to zero immediately. Instead, the normal decreasing of momentum takes
  place, while at the same time the ceiling prevents the character from
  rising any higher. In effect, the character appears to be floating for
  a short while before falling down again. Similar checks that are in
  place for hitting the ground must also be made for hitting the
  ceiling.

You can see for yourself if you use worldtest with the wastesedge
data, enter the building and go down to the basement.

Another important (somewhat larger) task would be working on the GUI stuff:

  http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Tasks:User_Interface

The widgets are mostly done, but haven't been used a lot, yet. It
would be great to verify that the python bindings are working (and fix
those that don't) and then write some of the UI elements. OTOH, the
problem here is that the interface design itself is not yet properly
discussed. There's a proposal here

  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/adonthell-artwork/2011-03/msg00000.html

but all artistic activity has been concentrated on making in-game
graphics. So not sure if it makes much sense to implement something
before coming up with a coherent design. But again, if that's
something you'd have fun to work on, create some designs we can
discuss and then implement stuff with placeholder graphics, if needs
be.

In general, the current goal still is to get the v0.3 demo running
with the v0.4 code, then continue from there. So everything that helps
moving forward in that direction is a good choice for contribution.
Whatever you pick, just let us know, so we can discuss additional
details, as most of the tasks are pretty vague.

> I'd also like to ask - did anyone manage to set Eclipse CDT for
> adonthell correctly? When I try, it reports a horrendous amount of
> "Symbol Undefined" errors in nearly every file, mostly related to
> python, even though the program builds just fine. I admit I didn't
> really look that deep into it, since I don't really need Eclipse, but
> since you recommend it for development, I'm just curious.

I do use it, but with the autotools build. So I believe I set it up as
"Makefile Project with existing code", It's been quite a while,
however, so I am not 100% certain. But I assume you tried an eclipse
project as generated by cmake? And in case it matters, I'm using CDT
7.0.1 on Eclipse 3.6 (Helios). Haven't tried the latest and greatest
yet.