Re: [Adonthell-devel] Modeller thoughts

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Modeller thoughts
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 15:08:52 +0200

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 10:51 AM, James Nash <address@hidden> wrote:

> I had created XML sprite files by hand for all my PNGs. The modeller
> wouldn't load the associated PNGs though (as far as I can see, the path in
> the XML is correct). Is it because I'm using the non-standard gfx48 dir?
> Also, having to provide a full path in the XML seems redundant - surely the
> tools know what dir the files are in and process paths relative to that. As
> it stands, if I move sprites to another dir I need to the edit all the XML
> files.

Without seeing your sprite, it's hard to tell, but I assume the path
to the png file was incorrect. The path needs to be relative to the
data directory. So in your case it should start with gfx48/map/...

But as you discovered, you only need to create an explicit sprite for
animations, objects with multiple states or if you want to use one of
the flags like masked, alpha or mirrored.

> With a PNG loaded up in the modeller I then tried the zooming in (btw, it
> would be nice if there was a shortcut for this e.g. ctrl + mousewheel
> up/down).

Ctrl+'+' and Ctrl+'-'.

> When not all of the image was visible in the modeller there were
> no scrollbars so I couldn't pan around. For my relatively small and simple
> graphic (a wall piece) this wasn't so much of an issue. However, with bigger
> sprites it would be.

Move the mouse near the edge of the canvas. It will then scroll into
that direction. It's the same behaviour as with dlgedit or mapedit.
For modeller, it might be possible to show scrollbars to indicate the
ability to move the canvas, but for the others, where the canvas is
near infinite (well, 2^32 pixels), scrollbars are not really an
option. And I'd like to keep the behaviour consistent.