[Adonthell-devel] Trouble building/running Adonthell

From: James Nash
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Trouble building/running Adonthell
Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 19:05:45 +0100

Hi there,

I've been running into some problems while building Adonthell.

I started of with a clean install of Ubuntu 11.04 (it's a new PC) and I started fetching all the stuff listed in the wiki's dependency matrix. I got virtually all as packages via apt-get. libiconv wasn't available but since it wasn't listed as mandatory I just pressed on. I fetched Python-dev 2.7 instead of 2.5 (since 2.7 seems to be the version that ships with Ubuntu).

The main exceptions were SDL & SDL_mixer which I got from their Hg repos and built from source. Ubuntu comes with SDL 1.2, but I gather you need SDL 1.3 for Adonthell. Btw, I didn't remove 1.2 first since ubuntu-desktop depends on it. I didn't get any errors when building SDL 1.3 & SDL mixer, so I'm hoping this is OK.

After all that, I got the adonthell sources from github and ran autogen.sh. This gave the following errors:
-----
configure.in:164: warning: macro `AM_PATH_SDL' not found in library
configure.in:168: warning: macro `AM_PATH_SDL' not found in library
libtoolize: putting auxiliary files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `.'.
libtoolize: copying file `./ltmain.sh'
libtoolize: putting macros in AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR, `m4'.
libtoolize: copying file `m4/libtool.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltoptions.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltsugar.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltversion.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/lt~obsolete.m4'
configure.in:14: installing `./config.guess'
configure.in:14: installing `./config.sub'
configure.in:17: installing `./install-sh'
configure.in:17: installing `./missing'
src/audio/Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
src/py-wrappers/adonthell/Makefile.am:6: installing `./py-compile'
test/Makefile.am:42: variable `dialogtest_SOURCES' is defined but no program or
test/Makefile.am:42: library has `dialogtest' as canonical name (possible typo)
test/Makefile.am:43: variable `dialogtest_LDADD' is defined but no program or
test/Makefile.am:43: library has `dialogtest' as canonical name (possible typo)
configure.in:139: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_ERROR
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.in:164: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_SDL

Now type './configure' to prepare Adonthell for compilation.
Afterwards, 'make' will build Adonthell.
-----

This did seem to produce a configure script, but due to the errors I was a little suspicious so I decided to try the cmake approach instead.

cmake seemed to work fine and Adonthell built OK.

However, when I run worldtest (as described on http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Development:QuickStart ), I got the following message:

-----
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/cirrus/.adonthell/adonthell.xml"
Segmentation fault
-----

I tried working around it by creating an empty adonthell.xml, but launching worldtest after that crashes:

-----
address@hidden:~/adonthell/engine-build$ test/worldtest -g ../engine/test/data
Segmentation fault
-----

I haven't tried building the tools yet since I wanted to make sure the engine works properly first. I note that on the wiki it mentions you should only use GNU autotools for the tools.

A little help?

Cheers!

- James

--