Re: [Adonthell-devel] Editors and GTK+ 3.x

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Editors and GTK+ 3.x
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 15:23:54 +0200

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 10:30 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> However, further reading shows that GTK 3 doesn't have GdkDrawable any
> longer, and that's what is used by dlgedit, modeller and mapedit to
> render stuff. For modeller and mapedit, it's not so bad, as it's only
> used as a surface, while all the drawing is already done with Cairo.
> Mapedit OTOH uses a lot of Gdk based drawing, which will have to be
> completely replaced with Cairo. Arghh ...

Turns out I spoke too early. Actually, I was mixing up GdkDrawable
with GtkDrawingArea. Latter is still present, so there is no problem
with modeller and mapedit. In fact, I just went over those two and
replaced all deprecated methods and invalid direct member access with
something that should be supported by GTK+ 3.x as well.

Dlgedit is a different beast, however. That one does a lot of custom
drawing which will have to be replaced with cairo. It also uses much
more deprecated stuff than the other tools. So there's still lots of
work to do, which I don't want to invest right now. But doesn't look
as bad as I first thought :-).