[Adonthell-devel] Map interaction test case

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Map interaction test case
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 22:19:03 +0200

I've finally tested and fixed the map interaction code. As a small
demonstration, I've added actions to two objects of the Redwyne Inn
map:

* The 2nd column right of the entrance serves as a "clock". It'll give
you the current in-game time.
* The barrel a bit further right displays a simple fixed string.

For now, all this is simply written to the console, so the next step
will be implementing the speech bubble to actually display stuff in
the game.

Note that while those two examples are very simple, the interaction
system as such is powerful beyond your imagination ;-). At least
powerful enough to implement all the interactions we'd need for the
Waste's Edge remake: opening/closing doors. Examining stuff, etc. pp.

The one thing it can't do is triggering an action by simply walking
across the map. It always needs pressing the space key, while the
character is looking at an object. The enter/leave map events we had
in v0.3 are not implemented yet. I don't think we'd need them for the
remake, but they will be essential later. Think traps or pressure
plates or NPCs bursting out with a comment about a particular
location.

Kai

P.S.: I was briefly thinking about adding the grandfather clock to the
map to demonstrate the "clock" action, but I'd rather leave that as an
exercise for our artists :-)