[Adonthell-devel] Re: Small update

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Small update
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 16:46:41 +0100

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> Now it would be interesting to test the code with a real building,
> like the Redwyne Inn. So I'll try to spend some time on the Waste's
> Edge map and see if I can get something worth showing.

I think I've mentioned elsewhere that I found some features missing in
mapedit that would have made the above somewhat easier. Those are in
now, so I should be able to continue with the bits of the WE map I
already have.

In detail, there is now a dialog to control the grid. This can be used
to override the automatic grid when necessary or switch to a fixed
grid of arbitrary size.

And there is a refresh button to pick up new entites from the model
directory on the file system. Very helpful when creating or adjusting
models while building the map :-).

On the downside, I have started to wonder whether the zone stuff will
work as imagined. One thing I had not considered was that buildings
(like the Redwyne Inn) are not always rectangular. In that case it is
not possible to mark the whole interior with a single zone. We could
introduce composed zones, or otherwise link zones to work around this,
but this adds more complexity again, and more work when building maps.
Need to give that more thought ...