[Adonthell-devel] Re: Status update

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Status update
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 18:50:58 +0200

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Kai Sterker<address@hidden> wrote:

> That makes mapedit v0.1 nearly usable and feature complete in my eyes.
> What's missing should be minor and added fairly quickly.
>
> * Placing shared/unique objects a second time on the map should bring
> up the entity dialog to create a new instance of the entity with a new
> id.

This is done.

> * Controls to influence the grid (toggle on/off, specify offset and size).

Thought I could do that today, but actually anything GUI bores me at
the moment ;-). Unfortunately, this was going to be the next step on
my list:

* Add grid controls (as I feel they will be neccessary), then release tools.
* Build a ground-level map of Waste's Edge (requires some more
graphics to be upscaled, but grumbel has already done a lot of work on
that! :-))
* Enhance the engine (and mapedit) to limit rendering to a certain
height range. How to best do that still escapes me, though. Need to
check how Exult does it, as I basically envision a system like Ultima
7 had [1].
* Finish the below-ground and above-ground parts of the Waste's Edge map.
* Add NPCs with schedules and dialogue

>From then on it's a bit more coding and integration work, but a v0.4
based Waste's Edge doesn't seem far off at that point.

Hope I can convince myself to finish the GUI stuff soon, so that I can
continue with something more interesting.

Kai

[1] When outside, you'd see the outside of buildings. As soon as you'd
enter a building (or cave), the "roof" would vanish and you'd see the
interior (and surrounding exterior). Some buildings had several
floors, and you'd see the floor you were on, plus anything below.