[Adonthell-devel] Map editor progress

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Map editor progress
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 16:01:35 +0200

A first in years: the mapeditor has been updated to actually place
something on the map!

I had hoped to have that feature more complete, but it turned out a
bit more complex than I imagined. So there are still some limitations:

* Objects can only be placed at height 0. Setting a different height
requires some more thoughts, so I haven't attempted it yet.
* The grid automatically adjusts to the selected object. Changing or
toggling the grid manually is not possible yet.
* Only objects already on the map can be picked and placed elsewhere.
* No safeguards are in place yet, so it's possible to add duplicates
of unique entities, which will crash the engine on loading.

Even with those limitations, it's a start :-).

The next things on my list are:

* Placing objects at arbitrary heights
* GUI elements to adjust the grid manually
* Object browser to add new entities to the map.
* Entity editor to set id of unique entities, etc ...

So there's still a lot to do, but with the basics in place it
shouldn't be too difficult to get each of those implemented.

In the meantime, please give it a try and report problems :-). Might
also be in order to start some documentation on the Wiki.

Kai

P.S: The tools build system got the same fixes I had made to the
engine earlier today. So be sure to run autogen.sh and do a clean
build.
P.P.S: The tools might not build properly if the engine has been
compiled with cmake. Beware!