[Adonthell-devel] Re: git, anyone?

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: git, anyone?
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 23:47:20 +0200

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 11:53 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> For what it's worth, I've installed git (no binaries for OSX 10.4, but
> the usual configure, make & make install worked out of the box). The
> git-cvsimport required a little tool called cvsps, which also compiled
> fine. (Guess stuff might be available through fink, for the lazy).
>
> Anyway, following the instructions on Savannah, I ran
>
>    git-cvsimport -A ../authors.txt -v
> -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/adonthell adonthell
>
> and after about an hour on the 800Mhz box, everything was complete.

Remembering how a move away from CVS was promised for after the next
alpha, I've synced my local git repo (the command above will do that
just fine with an existing repo) to the head from CVS.

The next step would be to request a git repository on Savannah and
then move stuff into there, followed by the gfx and tools modules.

Things will still take some time, I guess, and at least initially we
might run CVS and git in parallel until we all feel comfortable with
git. But all in all, now seems to be a good point for the transition.

Kai

P.S.: I'd nearly added the whole CVS aversion issue into the demo
dialogue too, but then I thought I'd better keep stuff centered around
Adonthell itself.

P.P.S: What just amazed me during the update:

 rename src/{rpg => world}/schedule.cc (55%)
 rename src/{rpg => world}/schedule.h (67%)
 rename src/{rpg => world}/schedule_data.cc (67%)
 rename src/{rpg => world}/schedule_data.h (89%)

Looks like git actually sensed that those files had been moved from
rpg to the world module. Information that's lost to CVS. I like this
more and more :-)