[Adonthell-devel] Re: Loading and saving of map in place

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Loading and saving of map in place
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 19:00:00 +0200

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> Finally, another important prerequisite for the map editor is in
> place. We can now save and load maps. Worldtest has been changed to
> load its map from a file now.
[...]
> With that code in place, I can start work on the actual editor. Not
> sure if I get far today, though.

First step is done. I have a small GTK+ app that can load and save the
map. A lot of code is copied from dlgedit, so I tried to move some if
it into a common package under the tools module. It's not much (and
doing it was boring), but it should be a good starting ground for more
interesting things to come. Figuring out which object is under the
cursor for example, or scrolling.

To try for yourself, you'll need an up-to-date CVS checkout of
Adonthell itself, then update tools with -d switch to get the new
directories. Once everything compiled successfully, run mapedit with
the obligatory -g ../../../adonthell/test switch so it'll find the
data files. Then you can load the test-world.xml file that's also
found under adonthell/test/data.

Aside from that, I noticed that the commit notifications work a bit
unreliably as of late. Today I only got them for the new directories
I've added, not for any of the numerous files. Last weekend I didn't
get anything at all. Might be a problem at Savannah ...

And finally, I've changed the description of the world module on the
Wiki to better reflect what's actually implemented. Probably a bit
vague, though. But should be better what was there before. See
http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Architecture:Map_Module.

So much for now. Won't do anything else today, I guess, but will
probably work on stuff over the week.