Re: [Adonthell-devel] Need a C++ / Python programmer.

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Need a C++ / Python programmer.
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 15:20:15 +0100

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 9:15 PM, Stan Kuntz <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Stanley,

we'd have good use for more programmers, so welcome :-).

Now is where the tricky part begins, which I have the suspicion that
it scares a lot of people away. That is getting to know the code and
figuring out what to do.

Unfortunately, that involves some studying and playing around with the
example scripts and programs. If there are questions, we can answer
them here on the list or on IRC, of course. Then, once you have a
basic idea about the code base, you may have come across some areas
that are lacking and need more work. If anything of that work sounds
interesting, you'll found yourself a task.

Okay, now that the scary things are out of the way, lets start slow
:-). There's already a lot of material out there that should help you
getting familiar with the code. Good starting points are

http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Development:Getting_Started
http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Architecture:Contents

Then you'll find a number of test scripts in the adonthell/test
directory. Run those, modify them and see what happens. There's a
README that has a (very) brief description of each script too:

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/adonthell/test/README?root=adonthell&view=markup

Once you've done all that, then we can talk about what you could do.
There are the roadmap and task list to pick from, but we can also
figure out smaller bits to do if you want to take it slow at first.

> Im currently attending college for a programming degree and want to apply my
> skills to Goals.
> And learn soemthing along the way my names Stanley. I know Basics of C++
> (Classes Function,  arrays ect) my first Python class is on Friday. the 5th
> of December. im also proficient in VB.net. I enjoy working and helping
> create something and would love to study for you guys and apply my skills to
> your goals.

The whole project started more or less like that and I at least have
learned a lot while working with other people and would be more than
happy to share what I know now. I can imagine that a lot of the code
might look strange and complex at places, so don't be shy to ask if
you want to have anything in particular explained.

See you,