Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Work in progress

From: Andrew Phillips
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Work in progress
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 18:00:04 -0500

I can see how that would happen. I've been working with a game prototype at work and with issues of landing and falling, but I've been using a rectangular bounding box. The prototype is only in 2D, so this suffices. I worked on the assumption that the movable characters have good balance, so they only fall if no part of them is still over the platform currently holding them up. In more concrete terms, the bottom of the rectangle represents their feet, so they remain on the platform if they have any kind of toehold or heel-hold. I say this not to suggest my method, however. I think the spherical bound works better in 3d. A rectangular prism might not be appropriate and a compound of N ovoids (one for each foot of the creature) is just too complicated and ugly.

I will try to take a look at moving.cc to see what I can see.

Andrew

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 4:28 AM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 11:48 PM, Andrew Phillips <address@hidden> wrote:

> So, am I right in thinking that if the character is not completely on the
> one tile, the character falls through it?

That sums it up pretty nicely. It's the details where it gets complicated.

For sake of collision detection, the character is represented by a
sphere, so basically there is just a single point where it touches the
ground, in the center of the character's bounding box. That means, as
soon as the center moves over the edge of the tile, it begins to slide
downwards.

Of course, usually you'll have another tile right next to that tile,
so by going over the edge of one tile you are now on another tile and
nothing should happen. For some reason, this is not the case with the
current code. This could mean that the tiles that get checked for
collision are not the tiles the character is actually on. I should
probably increase that area just to check ... but of course for
efficiency it is important to really only check probable tiles.

Oh, btw. all of this is going on in world/moving.cc, in case somebody
wants to have a closer look.