[Adonthell-devel] "native" dlgedit for OSX

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] "native" dlgedit for OSX
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:44:51 +0200

Some weeks ago, when I tried to test the translation preview of
dlgedit (see adonthell-general), I found the GTK+ installation on my
iBook broken (something wrong with fontconfig, I believe, preventing
dlgedit from running). So I had to resort to Ubuntu on the new box to
try stuff out ... but it bothered me still.

So yesterday I went and had a look what might be a convenient way to
install GTK+ on a Mac. That's when I ran into
http://developer.imendio.com/projects/gtk-macosx/ . Looks like there
is now a Cocoa backend for GTK+, so it can run without X11. Still
looks like GTK+, though.

While it doesn't make a big difference to me personally (I use X11 to
run xfig or Gimp anyway), I guess it might make our tools a little bit
nicer to use on OSX. Moreover, the same website also provides a tool
that helps with bundling GTK+ based apps. I'm not going to try that
anytime soon, but in the long run we'll have to provide our tools in
binary form for platforms other than Linux.

Anyway, I let their GTK+ compile script run over night and today I
simple ran configure and make in adonthell tools to pick up the new
GTK+. Et voila: dlgedit as a "native" OSX app! :-) The differences are
subtle, but note how X is not running ...