[Adonthell-devel] Re: Progress, plans and bugs

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Progress, plans and bugs
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 21:11:08 -0700

On 5/25/07, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

I found a more serious bug, however. Looks like I was even too stupid
to copy code, with the result that all our data gets saved in big
endian format ;-). Something I definitely want to fix, so that
conversion only occurs for the minority of CPUs.

I've changed the implementation a little bit. Instead of having all
game data stored with one specific byte order, it will now be always
stored in the byte order native to the system it was created on. Data
in the wrong order will be converted to native order after loading
(won't be save back though, as we must assume that user have only
read-access to data in /usr/share). Maybe we can have a script running
during installation that converts data as needed. Then again, there's
probably nothing to gain from that.

The change is completely transparent to data in XML format, as that
does not have any endian issues to begin with. For binary files, the
file format has changed slightly, mainly to avoid accidental loading
of data files without byte order information (not that we'd have any
of those yet ;-)). Still, the change does not affect any code outside
of the base module.

I've also updated the filereport.py script to print the byte order of
data files.

Have yet to test whether handling of non-native byte order works as expected ...