Re: [Adonthell-devel] What's next?

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] What's next?
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 19:24:47 +0100

Am Dienstag, 02.12.03 um 13:03 Uhr schrieb Alexandre Courbot:

Great that you managed to get binaries to build for 0.4. But unfortunately, I can't get 0.4 source to compile - I get a failure from the configure related to Objective C because of the Mac OSX support. And if I remove the concerned
lines in the configure.in, then the build fails when compiling the main
module. I guess this is reproductible on any PC/Linux machine. Kai, can you
have a look at this?

Apologies! I thought my additions where non-destructive, so I didn't care testing them under Linux ;-). I'll do that at once!

I think I did some work for this - see base::timer. Might be a starting base
for the new timing system.

Yeah, I noticed that. If it is okay, then I'll use it and add a few things, if required.

* event system: the connection between engine and event scripts. While
I do not
   want to touch the foundations of that, I am thinking of a different
approach
   for the interface between event system and Python:

Right. That's indeed much better. Actually I think we should make a more extensive use of the event system in 0.4 - since you seem to think the same,
it'd better be efficient and well-designed.

I'm not completely done with the redesign yet, but I already dropped a few things to simplify matters.

That's what I had in mind when suggesting a more extensive use of the event system. Having the ability to pass messages through it would open the doors
to plenty of cool things regarding the schedules.

I imagine that NPCs could register listeners for certain actions they are capable of. Certain events would then trigger those actions. I'm not sure yet how it can work exactly, but it should lead to a system where NPCs become very responsive to their environment (i.e. to things happening in the game world.)

On my site, I hope to be able to show you some more map stuff. It needs some extra work to be presentable. But this time I'm doing the tools along with
the engine

Very good. This time, it is very important to have proper tools available :-).

(in PyQt, hope no one minds).

Given up on wxPython? Oh well, it doesn't really matter how the editors are written, as long as they allow us to build a great game! :)