Re: [Adonthell-devel] Redesign?

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Redesign?
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:32:05 +0200

> Yeah. That's because the OSX gui is running a loop of it's own. So our
> loop would have to run inside that. The OSX gui has to be initialized
> when loading the sdl gfx backend, so that it is available for any
> programs and scripts that use it. But since the OSX gui will never
> return, once initialized, we have to "jump" out of it somehow. That's
> why I suggested to run our main loop inside that of OSX. Which means it
> would have to be started from the gfx library.

What I don't understand is why we hadn't such problems with 0.3 on OSX. Maybe
it's the module stuff? Would a statically linked version fix that? And if the
program's main function is called at some point, then it involves calling the
SDL initialization as well, no? I'm still a bit confused here.

Could a "global" initialization function help? That fonction could set up the
OSX main function callback and would look cleaner design-wise.

> That is basically what happens with the OSX GUI. SDL uses that
> mechanism I described: the application's main function is replaced by
> one that SDL provides. In there, all platform specific initialization
> of the GUI takes place and then the applications actual main method is
> invoked from inside the main loop of the GUI.

Okay. Then I guess in these conditions dynamic loading of the SDL module is
out of the question on OSX.

> So I'm not the only one still thinking about the meeting ;). Yeah, we
> should try to get something sorted out for later this year. Or early
> next year, perhaps.

Yup. Anyway, better to meet when we have some more stuff done. We aren't much
advanced since last year. Although there is also the pleasure to see you guys
which alone is worth the meeting. ;)

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org