RE: [Adonthell-devel] equipping items

From: Mike Avery
Subject: RE: [Adonthell-devel] equipping items
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 13:22:44 -0700

> Maybe we should already define an initial list of slots and
> categories that fit in each slot. Just to make things clear.
>
> There is also a question how dependencies between slots are checked. I
> mean you couldn't equip a shield as long as a dual-handed weapon is
> equipped. It's similar with double-wielding (although those
> two seem to
> be the only cases requiring special attention).

Yeah.  If two hand slots are already filled, and I want to equip a
two-handed axe, it would be handy if I as a player could just equip the axe,
and the items in the right/left hand slots are just "taken care of" by
having the items placed into inventory (space requirements notwithstanding).

Or, if I am using a bow in one hand, and I equip the two-hander, should the
one equipped bow be returned as in  a normal slot?  Questions.  I think as
you say, we would be wise to look at these possibilities now rather than
later.

Is a quiver going to be considered a slot as well?  One reason I ask is
concerning item.count

Do we need to handle moving stacks of items to character slots?  This is
where the quiver question comes into play.  Should "body part" slots be
assumed a count of 1, with arrows simply being consumed from the inventory,
or should the character have a quiver slot?

> > So we will move the equip.add() equip.remove() and
> > equip.slot.accepts() methods to the item class?
>
> I thought they would be with the manager, wouldn't they?

I thought you said you wanted it in the item class :P  Manager is fine by me
too.

> > We want the manager performing the character and item checks yes?
>
> Sure. That's why I am wondering about the above. Aren't those three
> methods roughly equivalent to those I suggeted in the first mail?
> (add <=> equip, remove <=> unequip, accepts <=> fits)
>
> accepts might be a better name than fits, but I feal that
> equip/unequip
> are clearer than the generic add/remove, even though unequip might not
> be proper English ;).

Fits fits for me!

I hope I haven't been too confusing Kai.  Just trying to wrap my head around
things.  With talking about the equip methods in the item class, and having
the equip methods in the character class as well, and throw in the manager
to boot!  Hehe.

I figured we would be leaving the low level add/remove/slot_empty methods in
either the item or character class.  You mentioned doing so, so I figured
they would be there for use..  I then went and used my assumption to think
about how we might devise the logic to create methods to call those methods
from within the manager.  OK, this is getting confusing again!  hehe :)

It all looks good to me Kai, I undersand the workings and the way you are
looking to implement things.  The design is good so anything you come up
with will be fine by me!

I'll start some of the character/item status check methods.

A list of categories would be nice.  What do you suggest?

Mike