Re: [Adonthell-devel] On item slots and equipping items

From: Nils Fohrbeck
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] On item slots and equipping items
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:34:29 +0100

Am 10.03.2003 14:30:34, schrieb Kai Sterker <address@hidden>:

>Some notes about equipping of items. As suggested earlier, characters
>that can equip items would have a special "inventory" with a number of
>named slots, where equipped items may go to.
>
>So far we haven't really discussed what slots a character may have, so
>lets do that now. I'll simply list the slots I can think of, then we can
>decide which we want to use. Of course, we can always change things
>later on, but for now it would be good to have something we can work
>with and rely upon.
>
>Possible Slots:
>* Helmet
>* Armour
>* Weapon
>* Left Ring
>* Right Ring
>* Amulet
>* Boots
>* Quiver
>* Shield
>* Gauntlets
>
>Feel free to add more if you want. I just remember from the summer
>meeting that we wanted to keep the list limited, but AFAIK we did not
>come up with a final result.

Maybe belt?

in Diablo you can equip two sets of weapons and switch between these quickly
(via hotkey). Do we want to include something like that? Or at least a melee
and a ranged combat slot, so the player can quickly adapt?

>The Shield slot
>can hold a shield, no matter whether one-handed or two-handed weapons
>are equipped. However, shield bonus would only be considered when
>one-handed weapons are used. I think that is more convenient than having
>a "Left Hand" and "Right Hand" slot that can either hold a one-handed
>weapon and a shield or just a two handed weapon.

Definately a very good thing (and much better than in some commercial games I
played, like BG or Diablo, where this is not possible)

>Also note that slots could differ for different races without problems.
>We could even add more slots at runtime. Like joining a certain faction
>would allow one to wear some special kind of item in a slot of its own.

We could let the player get a piercing, and afterwrds she (or he) can also wear
earrings!

>Equippable items will need a (list) of slots they may go in. That way,
>we can automatically determine where an item should go when equipping it
>and can also take care that items only go into the proper slot.

I think an item should only be equippable to one kind of slot (apart from rings
of course!)