[Adonthell-devel] Unicode

From: joël vennin
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] Unicode
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 00:27:17 +0100

Hello,

Unicode stuff bring some minor changes and questions ....

        - there is a type in C++ which is able to support unicode, it's
wstring. But if we use wstring we need to use some convertion between string
<--> wstring. The first probleme is that:
                std::wstring a ="toto";
                std::cout << a << std::endl;
        Doesn"t work .... It's not really a problem, but to interact with
python maybe there is one ?

        - Another choice is to use string and utf-8. But in this way std::cout
<< my_utf8 is not very readable .....

        The problem is that the class label can store only one type wstring or
string, we must decide. With SDL we are able to catch unicode so it's easy to
store in a wstring. If we use a string we must convert the unicode from sdl
input and store the data and after transform the utf8 to unicode. Because Free
Type use unicode and not utf-8.

I want to use wstring but i wait you're suggestion, it's possible to create
some function to convert utf8<->unicode if we need it.

The stuff around the unicode is soon finished, just need a solution for this
problem.

Jol