Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: [Adonthell-general] Happy New Year!

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: [Adonthell-general] Happy New Year!
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 03:24:43 +0100

On 04 Jan 2003 11:02:28 +1100 David White wrote:

> yes, you might have a point about the framework not being well enough
> developed yet for a good character editor to be written. In that case,
> I'm not sure what I can do to contribute at this stage :)

Develop the framework :).

> > We had a big discussion about characters implementation a few months
> > ago, but I can't find it back. It involved Python stuff, as well as
> > combat and magic, and was related to items too. Someone know where
> > it is on the archives?
>
> I looked around, and saw some discussion of it interspersed with
> discussion of the combat system. The most discussion on it seemed to
> take place in February:
> http://mail.nongnu.org/pipermail/adonthell-devel/2002-February/thread.html
>
> I noticed the discussions didn't seem to arrive at *too* much of a
> firm conclusion. Perhaps we can revive them now. Also, what didn't
> seem to be discussed as far as I could see, is a money and shop
> system.

Right, we might as well revive the discussion. Although I wonder whether
anything of that stuff is covered in Bens sum-up of the summer meeting.
I mean we discussed matters there, didn't we? At least we had quite firm
ideas about the inventory, and some item related stuff too. Write it
down, Ben, write it down! :)

> > Anyway, we're still discussing the bases of 0.4, although
> > I can also say that characters/items should be closely related as
> > both have atributes and can perform actions. It's also going to use
> > Python a lot for the flexibility.
>
> What is and what is not planned to be in 0.4? I couldn't find any
> documents detailing release plans. Are there any?

There aren't. But we plan a basic item/inventory system, basic combat
and part of the game rules. Basic means working, but not as good and
complete as it might get. As I said in the other mail; we could work
together on that stuff. At least as far as characters, items and rules
are concerned.

> I agree that the characters/items system should be fairly flexible.
> Perhaps we should try to brainstorm all the sane possible ways a game
> might like to do an items system, and then make it so the Adonthell
> engine supports all of them?

Had you seen my item architecture mail? Why not use that as a starting
point for discussion?

It's amongst the mails at

    http://mail.nongnu.org/pipermail/adonthell-devel/2002-December.txt

but doesn't appear in the threaded listing. Very odd.

Anyway, best is to start discussion about that stuff. Pick whatever you
like, David!