Re: [Adonthell-devel] unified event system

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] unified event system
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 20:10:26 +0200

> I'm not sure whether there are other problems. Perhaps I should have a
> look at the new input system first. Still, I think it would make sense
> to integrate input and event system. Especially as it would allow us
> to make the player schedule event-driven as well.

Integrating the input events into the current event system totally makes
sense to me. That's definitely the way to go - why having one event
system for the game and another one for the input? There are a few
things that we should keep in mind however:

-Remember that the inputs have no sense in the case of a dedicated
server. In the case of a pure client, game events will never be
launched. Therefore there should still be a kind of independence between
the input and game events, even though I agree they should work with the
same mechanism.

-How about trying to have a more flexible callbacks system? I mean,
making Python callbacks involves using a different callback class.
Couldn't we have a callback class that we can assign a C++ or Python
callback, at will? That's be much easier to integrate them in the game
IMO. But once again, Python might not be needed everywhere. Unless we
decide that Python is a part of the core Adonthell and keep the callback
mechanism in the base module (which makes sense as well).

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org