Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: schedule stuff update

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: schedule stuff update
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 18:54:17 +0200

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 18:08:07 -0100 Mattias Päivärinta wrote:

> Hi guys!
> I'm just the regular lurker who all of a sudden thinks he has
> something to say.
> I haven't so much as looked at the code even once, so I may be sooo
> wrong. But it's a simple suggestion so I'll give it a shot.

Sure. I'm always willing to listen to different ideas. :)

> Why not just halt the game time instead of changing all the events?
> Make a simple wrapper for the current timer implementation and it's
> done. Hope I'm not taking up your time for nothing.

Hm, three reasons why this particular idea goes into the wrong
direction:

First of all it comes too late ;). The events are changed already. It
wasn't really a big change either. 20-30 additional LOC at most.

The other thing is that this would not only stop all characters, but
other time based events as well. Right now we don't have any other time
based events, but that might change in the future. Imagine for example
mapobjects that change their graphics at certain times (like clocks).
The weather and day/night would also be affected by this. We don't
really want to stop the whole world just because the player talks with a
NPC. We only want to prevent this NPC from wandering off during the
conversation :).

And finally, should we ever implement some multiplayer mode (we'd really
love to see something a la Secret of Mana), gametime cannot be stopped
for one player.

> And by the way..
> I played through Wastes Edge, and it rocks! So I'm really looking
> forward to the next release!

Thanks :). I wish I would hear that more often!

> I would join your effort, but I sortof have enough projects on my
> hands already :P

What a pity, but I know what you mean. Adonthell keeps me from any other
projects as well, be it existing ones or new ideas I have. But should
you ever have more ideas or suggestions, feel free to mention them.