Re: [Adonthell-devel] pathfinding & walking

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] pathfinding & walking
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 18:28:08 +0200

On Sat, 10 Aug 2002 16:33:30 +0200 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> > Now I want to do the same with the walking, because then the
> > schedules need not be run permanently, but only when needed.
> > However, the pathfinding code does not allow for this, as there need
> > to be regular calls to mapcharacter::follow_path to make the
> > character actually move. I intend to move this to C++ side (some
> > sort of general moving class). It will be possible to set a callback
> > to get informed when the goal is reached or the path is blocked.
>
> Oh, right. Needless to say, that the new map engine will probably not
> need a pathfinder update function to be called like that.

Ah, good to know. Then I'll just do a quick'n dirty hack instead of
coming up with something reusable.

> Something however: enter the inn and press escape to bring the menu.
> As you will see, speech bubbles will continue to appear. Well, this is
> nothing very serious to fix I guess.

Well, as the scripts will no longer run every game cycle, we can't
simply stop them to pause a character. I guess each character needs a
'pause' flag or something that a callback need to check before it
executes.

The only other alternative I could think of is making those checks
before calling the callbacks, but that wouldn't work well with the
generic event system we have right now.

> See you later! I'll post something this evening about the new map
> engine. I'm just making the base document of the polygonal map objects
> definition, and it seems to work beyond all what I expected! I have a
> Python implementation of polygonal collision detection working, and
> will just write down the principle, theory and maths to see where
> optimizations can be done. Anyway, I'm coming with something big this
> time! (no bad interpretation please ^_^)

Sounds cool! I'm really looking forward to this :).