[Adonthell-devel] SWIG issues

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] SWIG issues
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 12:28:10 +0200

I've just seen that SWIG 1.3.12/1.3.13 have been released since I last
looked at their site. I tested 1.3.13 and fortunately, nothing seems to
be broken. Moreover, these new releases add full support for C++
namespaces. I didn't investigate how that works yet, but I guess it'll
be useful for us.

Another issue I wanted to raise a while ago is the methods we make
available to Python. Right now we simply wrap every public method,
whether it is useful or not. I think it would make sense to exclude a
number of methods. The put_state/get_state pair comes to mind, init and
cleanup methods, and probably many others too.

Should we ever need to access a method we've excluded, it's no big deal
to change that. However, minimizing the amount of methods available from
Python makes it easier for 'outsiders' to write scripts, simply because
the API is lean and focused on the important stuff.

As a side effect, it'll reduce size of wrapper code and shadow classes.