Re: [Adonthell-devel] Schedules

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Schedules
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:07:06 +0200

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:31:23 +0000 cirrus wrote:

> That sounds very cool but if all NPCs in the whole of the Adonthell
> world are always doing stuff surely that would eat lots of CPU.

I imagine that we can easily calculate all NPCs on a single map without
much of a problem. As I said, the scripts can be written more
efficiently than our current ones.

An idea would be of course to skip cycles of NPCs that are further from
the player. I.e. execute their script only every 2nd or 3rd game cycle.
That way they will still be able to move about, only not so fast.

First of all, we should see how many NPCs we can handle that way. I
guess about 50 should be fine. And I doubt that we have many maps with
more then 50 NPCs. Now if we start adding animals ... :)