Re: [Adonthell-devel] Gentlemen, start your Windows!

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Gentlemen, start your Windows!
Date: 22 Apr 2002 15:33:46 +0200

> Actually, I love .zip files I can just unpack and run.
> Installers tend to 1) be bigger 2) spread stuff around 3) not clean up
> properly.
>
> I like the idea that I can delete a directory, and everything will be gone.
>
> But yes, for an official release, an installer looks more pro. Maybe provide
> both?

Well, the way we are doing it, it shouldn't make any problem to have a
clean uninstall:
-Adonthell will never mess with the registers database,
-It will install itself in the directory of your choice and never write
anything outside this directory.

The main problem is how to handle the game directory. Actually, I think
we could set it to ".", and when Adonthell will be started from the
start menu the current directory will be the directory it resides into,
right? So they will match no matter where you have chosen to install
Adonthell.

So I think you could just decide to put it in c:\games\adonthell, and
only remove this directory (or use the uninstall program) to get rid of
it. Sounds fair to me. And it's just as convenient as a zip file, no?

Btw. I think we should try to get sort of a quick poll system back on
our website. To ask things like "Would you like to have .zip files?"
"Have you enjoyed Waste's Edge?" "Who's your favorite developer?" ;) It
was nice when we had it (and it was very well done btw, especially the
poll creation interface)

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org