Re: [Adonthell-devel] Data update

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Data update
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 16:20:12 +0200

On 14 Apr 2002 15:49:46 +0200 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> I've also fixed Orloth's schedule. The sentence "That clock is late
> again!" weren't taken by pygettext.

Oh! :)

> Which showed weird behavior when trying to update the fr.po file.
> First, wastesedge.pot didn't seem to automatically get updated by
> make.

There is a problem unfortunately: If I left line 83 of Makefile.in.in
like it was originally

    $(DOMAIN).pot-update: $(srcdir)/POTFILES.in $(POTFILES)

meaning that it would be executed whenever one of the python scripts
changed, it failed with an error message:

    "No rule to make '../scripts/dialogues/alek_start.py'"

Usually that means it couldn't find that file, but I found no way around
this problem.

> I did a
> make wastesedge.pot-update in po/ to update it. Also, I was unable to
> update fr.po by make. The Makefile looks weird to me concerning
> msgmerge:
>
> MSGMERGE = msgmerge
> MSGMERGE_UPDATE = : --update

It's correctly filled in on my box:
MSGMERGE_UPDATE = /usr/bin/msgmerge --update

Maybe as your msgmerge doesn't have the --update option, configure
leaves that entry unset. Might be a good idea to upgrade to 0.11
perhaps.

> > We also need to decide if we want a disclamer from the translators
> > stating that their translation will stay free. If we want that (and
> > I'm for it) only translators that sent such a disclamer to the FSF
> > may work on our .pot file. That doesn't require any further actions
> > from us, but will give us some additional safety.
>
> In this case, the translations would be (C) by the FSF, right? I'm
> fine with it, that way everybody could work on them.

Nope. The FSF just keeps the 'contracts' with the translators that say
that their work will remain free. That doesn't affect the copyright. At
least that's what I extracted from the text.

Here's the quote:

"The Free Software Foundation acts like a kind of attorney that
witnesses the disclaimer.  Some translators mis-read the translation
disclaimer as assigning the translation works to the FSF, and are
disturbed by this impression.  This is not really the case.  Once again,
the FSF acts as a recipient and attorney for your papers, not as an
assignee."

-- http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/HTML/disclaim.html

But then again, IANAL.

> But seriously, I'll have to stand a little more away during a few days
> too, as I spent all my hollidays on Adonthell, but have to do some
> university work too. I'll try to keep progressing on the Windows
> version however.

The same with me. Working on Adonthell was practically a fulltime job
this week ;). Too bad I don't have always that much time - and the
neccessary motivation.