[Adonthell-devel] i18n improvements

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-devel] i18n improvements
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 13:12:28 +0200

I seperated all i18n code into a class of it's own: nls.h.

Right now there are 3 static methods. One for initialization, one for
changing the language at runtime and a wrapper around gettext() to use
from old python versions.

I've also added a new option to the config file:
Language [<country code>]

You'll have to set this option to your desired language as it'll
override all environment variables. Right now this might be a little
awkward under Linux, but once we have an interface to our game options
chosing a language will become much easier than it is right now.

I also changed the directory that'll contains the message catalogue to
<gamedir>/po/<country code>/LC_MESSAGES/ as Alex suggested. So put your
translations in there to work.

And finally, I replaced all calls to gettext in our code with the
respective nls::gettext. Should there ever be a change to our NLS
support, we only need to change code in one place with. (Pretty unlikely
though).

Now I'll go through all the python scripts, mark the strings for
translation and add adonthell.nls_gettext calls where neccessary. Then
I'll create the catalogue template for wastesedge and finally recompile
all dialogues. I hope the wastesedge module will be soon available at
Savannah. In case it isn't, I'll commit stuff to the private CVS so you
can test it as soon as it is finished.