Re: [Adonthell-devel] Backporting to v0.3? (was: Map engine Tech Preview

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Backporting to v0.3? (was: Map engine Tech Preview 2 ;p)
Date: 16 Mar 2002 13:32:16 +0100

> Perhaps we could also port some of the new stuff back to the v0.3
> engine. Things like the gamepad support or i18n come to mind. That
> doesn't involve too many changes to code and data. I guess the amount of
> work is much the same as if we would produce a small data package for
> testing the v0.4 engine. It might also attract some people that didn't
> try Waste's Edge so far.
>
> Of course, we can't do that with the new mapengine, but maybe there some
> more small improvements that could be easily applied to v0.3. That way
> we would produce some news from time to time, without too much effort.
>
> What do you think?

Very good idea. This would also keep a better consistency between the
two branches, as we would merge them little by little. We could backport
the input system, and maybe a Windows support if I can get it to work
(on the way! :)). Once the new GUI start working, we could port the true
type fonts support. As long as it doesn't slow down 0.4 development too
much, I'm absolutely for this.

The error we shouldn't make anymore is that we have to release something
at least, say, every 2-3 months. Of course, releasing crap is out of the
question, but minor improvements are ok. So backporting is a very good
initiative in that respect.

Waste's Edge itself wouldn't change, but it might look differently
(hopefully better) and might therefore attract more people.

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org