Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: solaris, take 2^100 + 2

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: solaris, take 2^100 + 2
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 21:04:40 +0100

On 11 Mar 2002 20:35:45 +0100 Alexandre Courbot
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Looks like this is as you guessed, Kai. Although I'm not very aware of
> endianness problem, so I'll try to describe what happens:
>
> When an image get loaded, the image loading function reads (length *
> height * 3) bytes from the file (one byte per red, green and blue
> components), using igzstream::get_block. Here's it's body:
>
> void igzstream::get_block (void * to, u_int32 size)
> {
>     gzread (file, to, size);
> }

This shouldn't be a problem, I think. I imagine that gzread will read a
number of single byte values here. There wouldn't be any opportunity for
endianness mixup. It could be the mask thing, although I wonder why
Brian didn't complain if there were any problems left. The screenshot of
the intro he sent me once it was running on his box looked okay, and
that was the last time I heard from him.

> One thing seems weird though: we released 0.3.2 so it can compile and
> run under Solaris, right? Hasn't it been tested before? ;)

Not really. I only knew it worked for Brian, and he didn't report any
problems apart from the endianness issues. But then again, I guess he
had a complete and up-to-date set of gnu tools on his box.

Insofar it's fortunate that James has that Solaris box for doing some
tests on. That way we make really sure that it is working. Although on
the next box, new problems might come up.